Quote for intro

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."-Virginia Woolf

Monday, January 30, 2012

My New Brew (BPA Free Coffee)

Who knew finding a coffee maker that is completely BPA free could be so hard? Let me tell you it is a challenge. 
If you haven't heard about the dangers of BPA, you're probably wondering why I'm making such a deal out of it. Well, because BPA is a compound in some products, primarily plastics, that can leach out, particularly if heated. This compound has hormone like properties. It isn't good to ingest it and it can lead to long term health problems including obesity, neurological issues, cancer and demasculation. This isn't good for anyone, especially so for the testicle sporting group.
So in a urgent need to save my husband's masculinity, (just joking) I set out to replace his daily dose of BPA laden brew. After much research I have found only one traditional automatic drip coffee maker that claims to be completely BPA free. Seen here on sale at Amazon.com. 


As for other coffee brewing options, you could certainly get an old school french press, which if you have the time makes fabulous coffee.

....Or you could go new wave old school and get a glass stovetop coffee siphon.

...Or take the route I did, straight back to the 70's. I purchased an electric percolator. It brews 12 cups of coffee in 12 minutes. I timed it and it was right on the money. The coffee tastes good and I dare say much better than my old 12 cup plastic programmable could brew. All the parts are stainless steel with nothing plastic touching anything going into my coffee or water. It can even brew as little as one cup at a time.
I found mine at Amazon.com and as far coffee makers go it wasn't too expense.


A side note for you Keurig users: The official statement is that K-cups are BPA free. However, the Keurig machine is not 100% BPA free. If you have a machine made after 2010 the company says that all the water system parts are BPA free. So if your machine is older than 2010, here is a good excuse to upgrade..or down grade to cheaper just as good percolator.


7 comments:

Jodes said...

good to know! I am addicted to my Keurig and it is from 2011!!!!!! :)

Lara said...

Yup, I'm damaging myself with my Keurig...the cups and the water reservoir, I'm sure. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

YES, health freaks, unite! sometimes the perculator 'basket' is made of aluminum, yeck...sometimes 'stainless' quality is faux boasting... back to GLASS & simplicity for me: the ole 'Mellita" way, sans plastic..thx for the news (i, too, been searching relentlessly) & sharing the dangers of HEATED BPA: i would wager 99% of americans are drinking such poison daily...sadly... oxo http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-Coffee-Maker-Cup-Classic/dp/B000I1WP7W

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!
I have been searching and searching.. just ordered one!

Karen said...

Thanks for the info you have posted! Do you just use the same coffee in the percolator pot as you would use in a drip brew maker? I remember years ago when the drip makers were first available that the coffee brands would have different types of coffee based on the type of maker. I think the only difference may have been that the percolator coffee may have been coarser because you didn't use a filter with it (the OLD ones). I'm looking to switch to a non-plastic coffee maker also. Do the new percolators use the paper filter somehow, or are they just the metal filter basket?

Carla B. said...

Karen- I have used regular ground organic coffee and I have also ground up my own coffee beans and used them. Both work perfect and I might say better tasting than average coffee makers brew. The one bit of advice I have is to just buy (unbleached) coffee filters. The kind that go in a 12 cup automatic drip maker. Poke a hole in the bottom and stick in the basket over the rod. The filter helps reduce some of that fatty/oily stuff from getting into the coffee. They make filters just for the percolator but I find they are not unbleached and are more expensive. Hope this helps. Happy brewing!

Anonymous said...

Good for you, friend! I am looking for a BPA free coffee maker too! I hoped for a drip coffee maker that had all stainless steel parts, and there is no earthly reason why that shouldn't exist; it wouldn't be difficult at all. However, perhaps I have to go out of my comfort zone and try a percolator or a press. I have a chemex, but it has no hot plate so it tend to get cold too soon. Chemes makes awesome coffee, if one has the time and the heat. Thank you so much for your information and for sharing your commitments with those of us who feel the same.